Job Opening: Project Assistant
Title: Project Assistant
for the Project “A New Initiative for Linking Solidarity in Support
to the Struggle Against Enforced Disappearances”.
Organisation: International Coalition Against Enforced Disappearances (ICAED),
Under supervision of its Steering Committee, particularly its Focal Person,
the AFAD Secretary General and ICAED Focal Person
Duty station: at the Asian Federation Against Involuntary Disappearances (AFAD), In Quezon City, being the Focal Point organisation of the ICAED or any other place to be determined
Period: from August to December 2011
Setting and reporting
The ICAED (the International Coalition against Enforced Disappearances) with support of PSO and IKV Pax Christi intends to re-launch the programme Linking Solidarity (formerly run from the Dutch organisation Aim for human rights. A project was approved to enable this programme to continue its work and preserve its legacy, be it in a new setting and form. The New Initiative will be more firmly rooted and owned by the human rights defenders of the countries
affected by enforced disappearances, mainly by the relatives of disappeared persons and their associations.
This position is located at the Secretariat of the AFAD.
Under the direct supervision of the Secretary General of the Asian Federation Against Involuntary Disappearances (AFAD), being the Focal point organisation of the ICAED, the incumbent will:
• Maintain contacts and facilitate the participation of ICAED members and other key actors in the relevant stages of implementation of the project;
• Supervise the progress of learning history exercise to be conducted as an evaluative method for selecting the roles and feature to bepreserved from the activities of the past.
• Prepare and organise a strategic planning workshop for ICAED members and close stakeholders;
• Contribute to the drafting and editing of reports, programme proposals , minutes of meetings and other written communications;
• Supervise the use of the project budget;
• Prepare narrative and financial reports to donor organisations;
• Arrange for practical matters related to the establishment of operational premises for the new initiative;
• Provide assistance to the organisation of Steering Committee meetings;
• Actively contribute to the design of a fundraising strategy; conduct fundraising meetings with institutional donor organisations;
• Assist in the recruitment process of new staff for a follow-up phase of the Initiative;
• Organise training activities;
• Contribute, at the request of the ICAED Focal point, to other lobbying or campaigning activities of the ICAED or of its members;
– Understanding of human rights protection, institutional mandates for the protection from enforced disappearances;
– Good sensitivity for working with relatives of disappeared persons;
– Ability to deal with politically sensitive matters, be able to perform duties in a multilingual and multicultural team or
– Experience with fundraising for human rights, humanitarian or development projects would be considered an asset;
– Self-starter: ability to initiate new initiatives and to run a range of practical and organisational matters autonomously.
– Excellent communication skills.
– Planning and organization skills.
A University degree in law, political sciences, international relations or other disciplines related to human rights.
At leas two years of working experience in a position related to international cooperation or human rights.
Fluent in English. Knowledge of Spanish, Arabic, Russian and/or French will be considered and asset.
Willingness to undertake intercontinental travel.
How to apply?
Candidates should send in a curriculum vitae and a cover letter explaining their motivation to apply for the position to Mrs Mary Aileen Diez-Bacalso .. [ +function, address and email ] before 15 August. Short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview and possibly a written test. For any questions please contact May Aquino at 4546759 or Aileen at 09177924058.